Monday, May 16, 2005

Ants and other Significants

Goodness! It's 3:30 am! I really should go to bed since we are having a farewell-Tot breakfast at 8am tomorrow. I actually just came back from a farewell-Tot Happy Hour (translation: mud pie and raspberry lemonade). It was so much fun. I hope she enjoyed it as much as we all did.

This weekend at work I played den mother to a bunch of characters. I knew things would be interesting when the first person I met said that mine was a good job because it allowed me the "perk" of bringing a significant other to stay overnight. I have no idea where she got that from. If by "significant other" she meant one in the endless parade of stuffed animals that get donated to the house then, you know, true that. Funnily enough, it could very well be this job and its perceived perks that keeps me out of the realm of others, significant or otherwise. Well, that and the fact that I'm mean and nasty. Other characters included James Earl Jones' voice double and Tom Selleck's aged-face double. I know I can't pick favorites, but the latter was way up there. I'll tell a little story about him later when I'm not so tired.

Here's a sad little story, though. Another of our guests discovered a giant ant colony out by the garbage bins. She pointed it out to me and asked if she could borrow some bleach to take care of the problem. We sprinkled some in the sidewalk cracks and near the nest. Almost instantly, the ants started workin' the grapevine and scattering themselves out; but when I came back to take out the trash it was a sad sight indeed. Just two little ants surveying the massacre. I watched them walking among their dead and imagined them getting a body count. I felt sorry for them and a little guilty, so I stepped on them to end their pain. THE END.

Good night, everyone. Good morning, as it were. I'd better sleep now so I can get back to Friday the 13th's To Do list.

No comments: